Prepare this fabulous, festive vegan ‘crab’ cake perfect for your holiday dinner. Modern Meat development chef Zoë Sagorin recently hosted an Instagram Live with Impact Magazine, where she paired vegan Modern ‘Crab’ Cakes with hearty Swiss Chard and pickled cranberry salad for a bright, festive vegan ‘crab’ cake.
- 1 package Modern Crab Cakes
- Cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 4 peppercorns
- 1/2 cup dried
- 2 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp reserved
- cranberry pickling liquid
- 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sprig fresh thyme, picked
- 1/2 bunch of Swiss chard, washed and chopped
- 1 mandarin orange, peeled and segmented
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 small green apple (sliced thinly)
- Pickled cranberries and shallots
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat.
- Add crab cakes to the preheated pan and cook for 3-5 minutes until crispy and golden on the bottom.
- Flip crab cakes and cook for another 3-5 minutes, you may want to add a bit more oil to the pan at this time for even browning.
- Remove crab cakes from the pan and enjoy with the prepared salad.
- Heat apple cider vinegar with crushed garlic, bay leaves, thyme and peppercorns in a small pot.
- While the apple cider vinegar is heating up, place your dried cranberries and sliced shallots in a heat proof container.
- When the apple cider vinegar has come to a boil, turn off the heat and pour it over the cranberries and shallots.
- Let cool at room temperature then store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Discard garlic, bay leaves and thyme when using your pickled cranberries.
- Combine dressing ingredients, whisk to emulsify and taste to adjust seasoning to your preference.
- Prepare your Swiss chard and top with mandarin segments, chopped pecans, sliced green apple and pickled cranberries and shallots.
- Drizzle with your dressing, toss and enjoy.