These vegan and gluten-free rice paper spring rolls pack a flavorful punch. Our Modern Crumble is mixed in with garlic, ginger, and sauces to create a delicious, Vietnamese-inspired starter to share with friends and family!
Shelf Life: Enjoy Fresh / Serves: 3
Instructions for Vegan and Gluten-Free Rice Paper Spring Rolls
- In a wok or large flat-bottomed pan heat 2 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Add Modern Crumble and stir fry for 7-10 minutes. When the crumble has developed colour and crisped up slightly remove from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add 1 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Add cabbage, carrot, shitake mushrooms, garlic and ginger, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 6-10 minutes, until the cabbage has softened.
- Add cooked Modern Crumble to the pan with the vegetables. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add hoisin sauce and coco soy. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute more.
- Allow the filling mixture to cool before assembly.
- Combine rice wine vinegar, coco soy, sugar and sesame oil. Whisk to combine and dissolve the sugar.
- Add sliced green onions to sauce, mix and reserve.
- Boil water and put it into a large flat dish that the spring roll wrappers can fit into easily.
- Submerge 1 spring roll wrapper into the water and allow to soften about 30-45 seconds.
- Carefully remove the wrapper from the hot water and place it on a clean surface.
- Take 3 tbsp of filling and place it in the lower middle portion of the softened wrapper.
- Roll up the bottom of the wrapper over the filling, fold in the sides and continue to roll up to the top edge. Repeat with the rest of the filling.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of oil to approximately 350°F over high heat, then turn it down to medium-high.
- Add 1-2 assembled spring rolls to the pot at a time and fry for 4 minutes, turning over halfway, until puffed up and crispy.
- Remove from oil, drain excess and serve with dipping sauce.
- 1 pack spring roll rice papers
- 4 cups hot water
- Oil for frying
- ½ pack Modern Crumble (150g)
- 3 tbsp Sesame Oil (divided)
- ¼ Small Purple Cabbage (shredded)
- 1 ½ carrot (grated)
- 6 large Sliced Shitake Mushroom
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 knob Ginger (minced)
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 2 tbsp vegan hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup coconut soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion (sliced)